By Gopinath Pillai,K Kesavapany
From Tamils to Malayalees, from Bengalis to Punjabis, the various Indian group in Singapore has performed a wide half in construction the rustic. to appreciate the Indian group, one needs to recognize definite easy proof approximately them.
First is their love for tradition which transcends spiritual and linguistic variations. the superior classical Hindustani singers are Muslims. the simplest Malayalam singer of Hindu non secular songs is a Christian.
Second is their love of debates. Argument is a part of Indian culture as a result of the trust that fact can in basic terms be arrived at lively debate.
The 3rd attribute is the community's recognize for schooling. Indians, throughout castes and religions have regularly honored wisdom and studying as being a price in itself.
The fourth attribute of the Indians is their devoutness: they take their spiritual tasks heavily and practice them regularly.
This celebratory quantity highlights the development, contributions and demanding situations of the neighborhood for the earlier 50 years for the reason that Singapore's independence in 1965.
- Foreword (S R Nathan)
- A position within the sunlight (Gopinath Pillai)
- Indians within the Modelling of the worldwide city (Rajesh Rai)
- Singapore's Indian background Centre: Curating and Negotiating historical past, variety and id (Gauri Parimoo Krishnan)
- Little India: 50 Years of Being and Doing 'Indian' in Singapore (Nirmala Srirekam Puru Shotam)
- Indian Contribution to visible and acting Arts in Singapore(Jaya Mohideen)
- Fifty Years of Singapore Tamil Literature (A Mani)
- 'Rising from the Ashes': the improvement of Hindi in self sufficient Singapore (Rajesh Rai)
- Indian Writing in English (Meira Chand)
- Indian Political Participation in Singapore (Asad Latif)
- The Indian Contribution to Singapore's financial improvement (Manu Bhaskaran)
- Less Remembered areas and Interactions in a altering Singapore: Indian company groups within the Post-independence interval (Jayati Bhattacharya)
- Newly Arrived Indian execs — Contributing to a Globalising Singapore (Girija Pande)
- To Singapore with Love... (Uma Rajan)
- Pakistanis in Singapore (Sajjad Ashraf)
- The historical past of Parsis in Singapore (Pesi B Chacha)
- The Singapore Indian group in the direction of SG100 (K Kesavapany & Asad Latif)
Read Online or Download 50 YEARS OF INDIAN COMMUNITY IN SINGAPORE (World Scientific Series on Singapore's 50 Years of Nation-Building) PDF
Similar asian history books
Race for Empire bargains a profound and tough reinterpretation of nationalism, racism, and wartime mobilization in the course of the Asia-Pacific struggle. In parallel case studies—of jap americans mobilized to serve within the usa military and of Koreans recruited or drafted into the japanese military—T.
The violent protests in Lhasa in 2008 opposed to chinese language rule have been met by way of disbelief and anger at the a part of chinese language electorate and kingdom specialists, puzzled by means of Tibetans’ obvious ingratitude for the beneficiant provision of improvement. In Taming Tibet, Emily T. Yeh examines how chinese language improvement initiatives in Tibet served to consolidate kingdom area and gear.
The Mutiny on the Margins series takes a clean examine the riot of 1857 from various unique and strange views, focusing particularly on overlooked socially marginal teams and geographic components that have hitherto tended to be unrepresented in stories of this cataclysmic occasion in British imperial and Indian historiography.
Asia, Modernity, and the Pursuit of the Sacred examines a good number of Europeans who, disappointed with western tradition and faith after global warfare I, and awaiting the religious seekers of the counterculture, became to the spiritual traditions of Asia for inspiration.
- Japan's New Middle Class (Asia/Pacific/Perspectives)
- Endgame in Afghanistan: For Whom the Dice Rolls
- Politics, Identity and Education in Central Asia: Post-Soviet Kyrgyzstan (Routledge Advances in Central Asian Studies)
- The Intellectual in Modern Chinese History
- Yunnan-A Chinese Bridgehead to Asia: A Case Study of China’s Political and Economic Relations with its Neighbours (Chandos Asian Studies Series)
- Diversity In Japanese Culture (Japanese Studies)
Additional resources for 50 YEARS OF INDIAN COMMUNITY IN SINGAPORE (World Scientific Series on Singapore's 50 Years of Nation-Building)
50 YEARS OF INDIAN COMMUNITY IN SINGAPORE (World Scientific Series on Singapore's 50 Years of Nation-Building) by Gopinath Pillai,K Kesavapany